We started Heart Saver with the idea of giving back. We wanted to make a difference – saving lives, empowering people to be able to help in a medical emergency, and making sure more Kiwis had the tools necessary in a medical emergency.
We’ve taken it upon ourselves to share the message about cardiac arrest and how to react, because the more people who know, the better the chance we have of bringing the number of deaths each year down.
Currently, deaths resulting from sudden cardiac arrest are 5x that of the national road toll. We believe more AEDs and better education around CPR and recognising cardiac arrest can change that.
We started the Become a Heart Saver campaign in January 2017 as a forum to talk about cardiac arrest and AEDs, as well as a way to get AEDs into areas that currently don’t have them or groups and locations that involve lots of the general public.
We started by giving away one AED a month to a community group, school or sports club, but with the support of Cigna and GrownUps we now give away two AEDs each month. below is a list of the people we have gifted an AED to so far:
- Ahipara School, Northland
- Heart Kids Canterbury, Canterbury
- Cardiac Companions, Christchurch
- The Ngati Rangi Community Health Centre, Ohakune
- Himatangi Beach Community Patrol, near Palmerston North
- Wellington Boys and Girls Institute, Wellington
- The Champion Centre, Christchurch
- Evolve Wellington Youth Service, Wellington
- West Auckland Plunket, West Auckland
- Paparimu School, Hunua
- Hanmer Springs Forest Camp, Hanmer Springs
- Te Harato Marae, Napier/Taupo Road
- Raglan Community Vehicle Trust, Raglan
- West Rolleston Primary School, Christchurch
- Revive a Smile – NZ dental charity, mobile dental clinic
- Rapanui Mowhanau Community Hall, Kai Iwi.
- Te Kura o Te Whanau a Apanui School in Omāio, Opotiki District
- Kina Peninsula community in Tasman Bay
- Taupiri School in the Waikato
- Progress Castlecliff, Whanganui
- Physical Disability Rugby League NZ Inc
- The Valley Project, North East Valley Dunedin
If you know of a community group, charity, sports club or school who services the community but doesn’t currently have an AED on site, why not enter them into our monthly draw to win a free AED? Enter our Become a Heart Saver monthly giveaway HERE.