AED fundraising ideas
We often hear from community groups who would love an AED but say their budget doesn’t stretch to it. Thankfully AEDs don’t cost as much as they used to – you can now get units starting at just $1800, which isn’t much considering it could save someone’s life.
But how to get that $1800? We’ve heard some great fundraising ideas from Heart Saver customers over the years who have been there, done that so we thought we’d share them with you in the hope that it will help your efforts.
One thing we’ve found works best is educating people on AEDs and why they’re so important – people are more willing to donate to a cause if they understand the importance of it and who it will affect. We have a great one-page AED fact sheet that does this perfectly – Click here to see that and print it off to use in your fundraising efforts.
Also, we’ve noticed fundraising works best when you try a few different things ie fundraise in-house yourself in a variety of ways and approach a local business for the other half, or fundraise yourself and apply for a grant for the other half. People seem to have more success when they’ve made a start on the process themselves.
Here are 10 ideas we have heard of – if you have any other great ideas, please let us know and we will include them!
- Organise a car wash, getting your members to wash cars at a central location
- Run a sausage sizzle at Mitre 10
- Approach community-minded businesses in your area for a donation
- If you’re a school, run a bake sale or hold a mufti day once a term raising a gold coin per child
- Ask local businesses if they’d be willing to donate an afternoon’s takings or donate a percentage of the cost in conjunction with other local businesses
- Hold an event and donate the gate takings ie a disco, gala, fun day, concert, show, movie night, garden tour
- Run a “Casual Fridays” dress-down day at work, in return for a gold coin from staff members
- Have a jar on your front counter for donations towards an AED
- Do some home baking and sell door to door – or open a lemonade stall on a hot day.
- There are a number of grants you can apply for for life-saving devices such as AEDs – you can find a list of those HERE