Payaal, a store employee, acted quickly and grabbed the store’s AED which sits in the checkout area. She is trained in first aid, and she knew if it was a sudden cardiac arrest, they would need the defibrillator to restart the person’s heart.
The AED was attached to the person and two shocks were delivered. The ambulance took a while to get there from Takanini, but the patient was breathing when he was taken away in the ambulance. He later made a full recovery.
“The AED was so easy to use. We just followed the instructions, step by step and did what it asked us to do.” Payaal said.